ABOUT THE APSMO MATHS GAMES
The Maths Games competition provides an opportunity for mainstream students in Years 5 and 6 to learn valuable problem solving skills and exposes them to the application of mathematical problem solving strategies and techniques. Teams of high-achieving Year 4 students may also be considered for entry to the Maths Games competition as a precursor to the Maths Olympiad.
The Maths Games is aligned with the Australian curriculum and focuses on challenging students to think laterally and creatively when solving mathematically-based problems.
Main aims of the Program
Format of the Program
- Introduce students to important mathematical concepts
- Teach major strategies and develop flexibility for problem solving
- Foster creativity and ingenuity and strengthen intuition
- Stimulate enthusiasm and enjoyment of mathematics
- Provide for the satisfaction, joy and thrill of meeting challenges
- The annual APSMO Maths Games consist of 5 separate contests, one per month from May to September
- Registration for the Maths Games is open to any registered school within Australia and New Zealand
- Registered schools can enter teams of up to 30 students in the Maths Games
- Students must be in a team - individual registration is not possible
- The Maths Games questions are completed individually by each member within the team. Collaboration on answers is not allowed